For 25 years living in Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and Germany, our real family was not always available. So our custom was to invite local friends who wanted to experience their first Thanksgiving dinner. We also found some “orphan” Americans, who could not get together with their families, due to the distance, cost and time. My hubby is a Californian, and a great cook. We had traditional cornbread stuffing, Mexican chorizo, once even Turducken– deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned duck, further stuffed into a deboned turkey. I was the sous chef.
But lately I got promoted and due to popularity we use my mom’s Hungarian stuffing recipe. It contains milk-soaked French bread, chicken liver, mushroom. Moister, than the cornbread fillings. Use the artisan North CountrySmokehouse Applewood smoked bacon: naturally smoked, and no additives. Heavily smoked, no sugar added – approved by your Hungarian blogger. Hannaford Plymouth carries it.
Ingredients for 12 persons:
- 9 stale medium rolls or one French Baguette, diced 1 cm size
- 600 ml 2 % milk
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 450 – 600 g sliced mushroom
- 2 large onion, diced
- 450 g chicken liver, sliced
- 240 g North Country Smokehouse Original smoked bacon, diced
- 2-3 bouquet parsley, chopped
- 6 eggs
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Cut the bread or rolls into cubes and bake them till light brown in a 300 ° F oven.
- Cut the onions into small cubes.
- Cut the liver into 2 cm slices.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- In a skillet fry the bacon with a little oil and add the onion. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper, andfry on low heat, till the mushrooms fully lost water. Set aside.
- In the same skillet add a TBSP oil, then add the chopped chicken liver, and fry it till no more bloodvisible, when cutting a sample (about 5 min). Set aside to cool.
- Chop the fried liver into half cm sizes.
- Chop the parsley finely.
- Soak the baked bread cubes in the milk for 5 minutes. Squeeze the liquid out, then place the soaked bread into a large bowl.
- Mix bread with the eggs.
- Add all ingredients and mix them well.
- Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the filling insidethe turkey. Any leftover can be baked along the turkey in the oven in aseparate casserole dish. The baking time will be much shorter, than the turkey!